Friday 17 February 2012

Vanish Poet I


Dan, there’s someone to meet you”,
Said a female voice through the trapdoor 
And meeting my eyes, quickly removed 
Her eyes which showed nothing but fear.
I sighed as I always do at times like this,
When people look at me with fear and hatred.
But still, my heart pounded loudly, wondering
Who could it be, wanting to meet me.
As usual, ‘twas one of those usual visits
One brave man’s attempt to mend my ways
As if ‘twas all in my hands...
But this man said, “think of what you’ve done!”
And left, without another word, leaving me alone
To travel back down memory lane- one place I hate to go.
It happened thus, in those good old days when I was young and bright.
My poems were good and recognised all over the world.
And brought about great changes in life-style and society.
People honoured me, my writings, poems and called me a gem
For I’ve been writing all along
‘Bout them and their own lives.
And also did my poem bring
Light to their dull, dark lives.
Things went on well and so did time.
‘Twas a cold and rainy night
I sat in my study, with my lamp lit
Its flame flickering in the wind.
I wrote about the happiness of my dear countrymen
And lay on my bed, soon asleep.
The next morning, things happened thus-
The rain had caused havoc
Their crops were wretched with flood too big
And cattle were dead.
Their happiness had vanished off
Now they were all doomed.
It went on thus, as months went by
They knew it was all me
I was the one accused of vanishing their happiness.
I stopped writing for a while and all was back and well.
But when I wrote again at all, the result was the same
My stomach churns and head spins, thinking of what I’ve done!
Disaster, misery and darkness followed suit
The people I wrote about.
Those innocent people were all doomed because of me.
They started moving away from me, I was left alone
But the curse in my writing would never leave me alone.
“No!”, I shouted out, I can’t bear it any longer
Look at what I’ve done to those who once called me a gem
But as for now, I have become their being of misery
I can’t bear this anymore, I wish I were dead
My stomach does churn, I feel too sick
To proceed through memory lane
To think of how a gem had brought misery and doomed them.
I went back to my study, it had started raining again.
The lightening and the wind was all that I could see again.
I took my pen and sat again, after a long time.
I glanced skywards, murmured “forgive me” and sat down to write
This time I wrote all of my life, this would me my last
I signed it with my name and lay on my bed.
‘Twas raining heavily with thunder and lightening
And with a strong bolt of lightening
I too was gone for good...





No comments:

Post a Comment